Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Much has happened. I'm sitting here, in a internet cafe, in South Africa with a cup of lemon tea (a bit sick from all the travel) reminiscing all that's happened, all the folks that I've met, friends I've said goodbye to, new things experienced (swimming in the Indian Ocean), old cities revisited (Hong Kong is beautiful), and deciding what to write in this post.

Ok, I've decided. I'm alive! Just wanted to let you all know that and that the posts will be coming daily, in the next few weeks. Lots have happened and lots more is on the way. To sum up the last few months, from the lush green hills of White River, South Africa to the Latino spiced city of Maputo, Mozambique. From the bora bora filled streets of Jinja Uganda to the market-filled streets of Hong Kong. All that I've done in the last months touches on a moment I experienced while co-leading our Compassion DTS outreach in Uganada.

My friend and I were in Jinja, running some errands. My friend was waiting on line for the ATM machine. I waited outside the bank, on the street corner. As the bora boras (motorcycle taxis) zipped on by among the mass of people moving in every which direction, I noticed a sister and a brother that had just made it across to the street median. They hesitated a bit, with all the mess of motorcycles and cars. The only traffic law here in Jinja seems to not get hit. Their hesitation was understandable. After a few brief moments, they both lunged forward, to cross. Despite the waved of on-coming vehicles, the sister pushed on through and made it to the sidewalk.

Unfortunately, her younger brother did not brave so well. As I looked on to the face of a scared little boy, stuck on the traffic median, an annoyed older sister giving looks of embarrassment and on-lookers heckling this little boy in Lugandan, my friend walked out of the bank, ready to tackle some errands. We crossed the street, stepping onto the traffic median. As I neared the boy, I thought to help him. Immediately my mind went to our errands and how much of a hassle it would be add 20 seconds onto the hour needed to complete the errands. As I passed the boy, I made a decision. I turned around and stood beside him. I grabbed his hand and he looked up at me. I looked at him, gave a reassuring smile and we both looked onto the street with renewed hope.

My friends, the orphan crisis is growing and lives, stories, hearts...are being crushed and getting lost in the background noise of the traffic of our lives. We cannot forget them. This story has a happy ending, but I have tons more, where I looked the other way. Please, lets not look the other way anymore. Even if just reading my blogs is what equates to not looking away.

Love you all.


Brittany Deniston said...

Love this story, Song!

Jen said...

Great story! Look forward to reading your daily updates!

chungbajee said...

this makes me wonder what i would have done. i'll remember this story whenever i am in the same situation.

Beelieve said...

back in nyc???????

Tony said...

great to hear from you Dave its been awhile. Great that the Lord is working in South Africa

Leah said...

Hey, Dave Song.
Long time no nothing.
Thank you for not passing up the opportunity to share this snippit.
I love that He put you there to help a scared little boy. That is who He is- we are not alone.
Leah Salles Hinckley